Very interesting lecture on Hello Kitty phenomenom by author and The New York Times Business Reporter Ken Belson…
- Hello Kitty was introduced to the US in 1975
- Her original name was Kitty White
- She has a twin named Mimmy. You can tell that it’s Mimmy because her bow is on a different side of her face.
- Hello Kitty Warehouse is located in South San Francisco
- Her birthday is November 1
- Her birth place is suburban England
- It’s a $1 billion company
- They have 400 characters and Hello Kitty makes up $500 million of the $1 billion in sales
- They have virtually no advertising or marketing
- Japan has a big gift-giving culture so Hello Kitty and Sanrio tapped into that. The first Hello Kitty product was a coin purse.